Wednesday 1 July 2015

Anatomy of a battle, including the "human factor".



During my progression through the tier V German Attack Aircraft, Stuka Ju 87 G, I have been a witness to quite a few things along the way. Sometimes, blowout victories for either team that would make the word "epic" seem so under-descriptive. I have been that "last man standing" and pulled off what would be considered "the impossible", partly from luck with just a dash of skill in the mix. However, it is so easy to get caught of in the moment, forgetting that this is just a game, with real people involved and invested in the outcome for the respective teams.


Here is a battle that illustrates the what I am talking about. From H5, I dive down and to the left, my plan is to attack the enemy ground targets at D3/E4. The rest of my team decides to chase an enemy Heavy Fighter around the H6 area. The group takes that threat down as I continue to work over the remaining ground targets in the upper left quadrant of the map. Now, I was being totaly oblivious to what was going on, I was just more focused on what I was doing.


At the almost four minute mark, I see the message I dread most while flying a GA, "You are ther last hope for your team! All allies are destroyed!". Nice and the enemy team has two Zeros left. Knowing the last know location of the enemy team was around the F9 area and with me being on the other side of the map, I decided to "bank and bait". The "bank" part was to build up more of a lead in Supremacy and also hedge in more experience and credit earning potential, in case things "went south" on me. The "bait" part, the enemy would see my flashes from their attacked ground targets, giving away my position, my "trail of breadcrumbs" that I was hoping they would follow.


From around the B3 area, I started to head south along the 2 line, blasting away at ground targets in my path. One eye on the ground, the other turned up towards the sky. I was hoping to draw them out and down towards my "green zone", bristling with active and operational AA guns. The first Zero came in from behind, my rear gunner was waiting for them with a loaded weapon.


I came in low and weaved among the friendly ships, using their AA guns to help cover me against the pursuit. One Zero knocked down and the last one was waiting for me, somewhere. At was at this point the "human factor" started to show through. The player of the last Zero must have figured out what my plan was and they didn't like it. Honestly, I can't blame them for feeling the way they did, I have been in almost the same situation myself on many occasions. Stay away, live and lose, or drop down and take a chance on killing me, but taking fire in the process. In a Zero, the latter isn't the most recommended option and I knew this.


Okay, I admit now, looking back, that I didn't add another positive to the situation. I knew what they wanted me to do, come out from my protective zone and fight. Yeah, because giving up that, speed and maneuverability to face a enraged Zero in "honorable combat" was totally the right thing to do! However, I disregarded that option for my own, stay in the "green zone" and let my remaining opponent make their choice of how the battle was going to end for both teams.

Now, for those people out there who believe having a "internet persona", which could either be slightly different or the complete opposite of who you really are is a good thing, I offer up an alternative....





During this conversation, as I was orbiting inside my protective zone, I was being completely honest and empathic to this player. They took the chance on sharing their frustrations, inside a video game, about their problems and difficulties. I know, for a fact, if I was anybody else, not the real me, I could have turned this into a real flame fest and caused emotional harm to this individual. In fact, the conversation most likely would have been continued in Private Messages in my hangar, when the battle ended and escalating even further.

But, I am not that person, either in real or my virtual life. Honesty and respect is a lot more genuine than telling somebody to "git gud" or "grow a thicker skin". However, I am not a pushover or some naive "everything is awesome, here is a medal for just showing up, pat everyone on the back after their defeats" type either. I took the time to listen and acknowledge this player, balancing that with trying to win the battle for myself and my team. Proof, that some folks can do....both.


Despite the spelling mistake, I meant what I said, just before the following screen closed out the match....

No comments:

Post a Comment