Saturday 25 April 2015

I am still here, kinda.






In case you haven't heard, I downloaded the Closed Beta version of World of Warships recently and it has been taking up a little more time then I thought it would. However, it would seem the timing for doing that was pretty good. Why, you may ask? Well for starters, go have a look at the forums here http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/

Between the Recent Topics and General Gameplay Discussion, most of the talk is surrounding the upcoming change to Flights. Before and for a long as most can remember, up to three people could form a small group within the game called a Flight. So, if you have two friends and wanted to go flying in and out of battles, you could exercise that option to team up and do so.

With the upcoming 1.8 update, Flights will be reduced from three players to two. What does this mean? Simply put, you would be able to fly with one other person in a group, that's about it. However, from what I have been reading, it sounds like the end of the world as we know it is coming over the horizon.

A battle has been raging on the forum for some time now, those who support three man Flights as some kind of "sacred institution", and changing it will bring about the final downfall of the game, against others who see Flights as they are as obstacles of their enjoyment and progression through the game. Who is right and who is wrong, I really couldn't say. I am one of those solo players, going about playing the game as I have seen fit for a long time now.

Sadly, this issue has opened up a real can of worms. Not only have passions been heated over the "Flight debate", it also had a downward spiral effect on other matters. Player statistics have come into play, being used to discredit opinions and starting new debates among the Community. The bickering and verbal snipping back and forth, I feel dizzy. Even I have left a comment or two.

Overall, the Planes forums have become a less than positive environment, not as bad as I have seen others become. The toxicity level is still somewhat civil, but that line is fading fast. As I continue to read, I grow somewhat sadder, watching people whom I have considered to be family, post in ways I never would have imagined. Of course, there are those who are fanning the flames, keeping the negativity flowing for their own personal reasons.

So, what does this have to do with playing the game? Actually, very little, since most who do play don't visit the forums or they just don't interact there on a regular basis. For a lack of better phrasing, I just feel bummed about what I have experience through those words on my screen. The forum fights have left me a little taxed and when I have played recently, I was putting in a lackluster effort.

Time to scale Plane related things down a bit. I need time to think about what goals I want to achieve and the Planes I will use, pre and post changes. Plus, there has been no news about any upcoming Missions, for either a new or existing premium plane or any other worthwhile exercise to login for.

I need to recharge my positive batteries, before I take to the virtual air again.

No comments:

Post a Comment