Wednesday 15 April 2015

Island Excursion, long layovers with changes of transportation.






Calgary was going to be a long wait, but it was going to be worth it. Shortly after disembarking from our Bombardier Q400, we entered the terminal and my wife dropped a little bombshell. The plane for our next leg of the trip was going to be a jet. My son was over the moon with this news.

Navigating through this airport for the first time, we found the gate we would be boarding from next. From the lobby window, my son laid his eyes on our soon-to-be chariot and could barely contain his excitement. Watching his outward display of emotions reminded me of the first time I climbed aboard a jet myself....





Pacific Western Airlines, long time ago now, had scheduled service from Dawson Creek to Vancouver (I remember landing in Prince George  a few times along the way, but I am not too sure if it was part of the regular route or not) for many years. I can clearly recall leaving the terminal, walking out and up the stairs. I can still hear the engines starting up and the plane maneuvering for the taxiway. Topping all of that off, the sensation of accelerating down the runway, the roar of the engines and the almost sickening feeling of getting airborne.

30 years later, my son would now experience all this and I hoped more, for his first time.

The layover in Calgary was going to be over two hours, so I wandered about, trying to find something to pass the time with. Low and behold, a video game of warplanes....





Don't let the title fool you, Strikers 1945 III has no content related to World War Two aircraft....





....just another vertically scrolling shoot'em up from the mid to late 90's. Anyone who has played 1942, 1943, Raiden and the type, knows what I am talking about here. Nevertheless, I plunked in a few dollars worth and killed off some time, having some good ole popcorn fun.

Finally, the first boarding calls for our flight came across the terminal speakers. My family quickly assembled at the airline gate, produced the necessary documentation and boarded. Once on the plane, I found my seat and snapped a quick picture of the interior....




  ....quite a difference from the Q400. Plus, when did they add TV's to the back of the seats? Well, I guess the Pacific Western Boeing 737-200 of my youth has gone through a few revisions and upgrades to become the WestJet Boeing 737-700 we were about to leave in. Perhaps, I should take some time to read up on the changes....











Soon, the engines started and that familiar and recent feeling of movement returned. The plane backed out from the terminal and started down the taxiway. My son, sitting across the row from me, was giddy with excitement. I smiled and mentally combined this experience with the memories of my younger days. Turning onto the runway, the engines were throttled up and we accelerated down the blacktop. Up, up and away.

From the seatback in front of me, I played a new kind of game with the monitor. I watched our progress, as tracked by the all seeing eye in space. I tried to time my picture taking skills when the maximum speed and altitude that were going to be displayed.






My rock steady hands and lightning reflexes paid off, captured both in one shot. The monitor was was a lot more entertaining then the view being offered from my window....



 My son was disappointed with his jet experience, to this point. He was expecting there to be a lot more drama then what the previous propeller aircraft had presented. I told him not to worry, all of the good stuff happens when we come in for a landing. No sooner was that said, the announcement from the speakers was the Captain informing us we were on final approach to YRV,
Vancouver International Airport.

I could feel the aircraft make it's descent, the shuttering as it lost altitude, the engines adjusting to the changes in air density and temperature. I could both hear and feel the landing gear coming down and locking. My son was now sitting beside me as the plane was touching down. I told him to have a look out my window and watch what happened to the wing. Bump, the wheels make contact with the ground. The engines roared as the reverse thrust kicked in. Much to the surprise of my boy, the wing appeared to explode in a controlled manner, flaps and slats deploying up and out, slowing the aircraft down. The engines screaming like a wounded dragon.






Then, things quieted down as we taxied to the terminal. We left the plane and walked up the jet bridge into the terminal interior. My son said the landing events made up for some of his disappointment of being on a jet, but I could tell he had expected more from the episode. My wife and I agreed to make a purchase, so he could act out his own drama, in his own way....




....but, he would get that later, after one last airplane hop.

No comments:

Post a Comment